OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2016

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2016 13:47:18 +0000
 I went to Villa Angela and Wildwood Parks (part of Euclid Creek Reservation) yesterday from 3:30pm to 6:50pm.  I had not been there since Sunday so I didn't know what was being seen.  I noticed Yellow-rumped Warblers and both Kinglets when I was in Wildwood by the creek and when I got into Villa Angela I started seeing Palm Warblers and then along the lake in Villa Angela it was full of Yellow-rumped Warblers--my warbler species was low, I did have Nashville and Ovenbird in Villa Angela and an Eastern Phoebe ,Eastern Wood Pewee and a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher--saw both Kinglets, a few Swainson's Thrush, two Brown Thrashers, approx. 28 Herring Gulls.  Not seeing Robins or Grackles---I then went to Wildwood and started walking along the creek and when I got to the creek area down below the parking lot close to Lakeshore Blvd. I was contemplating walking out onto the gravel bar that goes into the creek with the trees nearby when two Tennessee Warblers flew into the white flowered bush along the creek edge--they then flew across the creek to the same type bushes, I then started seeing Yellow-rumps, one Blackburnian and a Black-throated Green Warbler bathing in the creek.  Also, Lincoln's Sparrow and the White-crowned Sparrow-- a Red-breasted Nuthatch in one of the trees along creek flew to the pine trees closer to the parking lot and stayed in those trees for some time.  When I was standing very close to Lakeshore near the "combined sewer overflow sign" I was seeing some of the same birds again, the White-crowned apparently hides in the Japanese Knot Weed on the east side of the creek and came out near the overflow sign along the creek--did see two juvenile Black-crowned Night-Herons in willow tree below woods in Wildwood--also had one Winter Wren in each park.  I am sure the lateness of the day didn't help--but Euclid Creek seemed to increase my sightings and it wasn't till 5:45pm that I saw an increase along the creek not when I arrived at 3:30pm.
Nancy Anderson, Richmond Hts.https://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/