OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2016

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Oct 2016 09:51:53 -0400
A few years back, when I was poking around in the University of
Michigan's Museum looking for bird specimens, the curator offered me two
boxes of old books that were awkward as they planned their relocation.
The old Museum, with its labyrinthine cubbyholes and creaking floors,
has since moved to a snazzy new building on the outskirts of Ann Arbor.
Too bad in a way, as many of us revered those twin lions at the entrance
to the old site.
        The books were dozens of mint copies of Milton Trautman's classic work
"The Birds of Buckeye Lake, Ohio," and I eagerly accepted them. I
offered the almost 100 copies to folks who wanted a copy and promised to
read them, and they were soon gone. Its 466 pages came from the
University of Michigan Press--where were Ohio publishers, I wonder?--in
1940, and I hope they are all being treasured and read. The work is a
model bird monograph, and I recommend it to all writers and readers
about birds. Sorry, I don't have any more extras.
        BUT U of M has scanned the work, and in some ways it is even easier to
use in digital form. You can find it in that form at
https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/handle/2027.42/56289  and choosing "full
item record."  Give it a look or two, and consult it to add to your
knowledge about Ohio birds. Sorry, no pictures, but I guess we already
have plenty of those.
Bill Whan