OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2016

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Oct 2016 20:48:29 +0000
I spent the morning at Conneaut harbor and the early afternoon at Mosquito L.  The best I could do for rarities were long-billed dowitcher and white-rumped sandpiper.  There were many, many birds to look through, though, and plenty of the more common species.  Intermittent rain, dark skies, and distance to many waterfowl made ID difficult or impossible in a number of cases.  So here's what I did see.......at Conneaut: gadwalls, red-breasted mergansers, common loon, horned grebe, pied-billed grebe, 245 double-crested cormorants, 29 turkey vultures, bald eagle, Am. coots, 2 sanderlings, dunlin, white-rumped sandpiper, Bonaparte's gulls, and great black-backed gull.  At Mosquito L. I birded at the Hoagland-Blackstub Rd. pulloff, the end of Mahan-Denman Rd., the causeway, and the State Park.  There were hundreds of puddle ducks and most of the shorebirds at the Hoagland-Blackstub Rd. bay pulloff; the water level of the lake is up with all the recent rain and the habitat is good there again.  It should be checked for Hudsonian godwit through early November.  Seen at Mosquito L. were: gadwalls, Am. wigeon, Am. black ducks, mallards, green-winged teal, 110 ruddy ducks, 15 pied-billed grebes, great blue herons, 2 bald eagles, 300 Am. coots, killdeers, 45 dunlin, long-billed dowitcher, 10 greater yellowlegs, 20 lesser yellowlegs, Bonaparte's gulls, 2 tree swallows, and e. bluebirds.  Craig Holt, Lowellville