OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2016

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Oct 2016 13:36:59 -0400
Many thanks to Bill Whan for sharing the news that Trautman's (1940) "The
Birds of Buckeye Lake, Ohio" is now available online. I agree that this
book is a classic. I read large parts of it in the University of Arizona
library years ago, before I had any idea that I'd be moving to Ohio, just
for the pleasure of reading such a well-done monograph on local birdlife.

In a similar vein, kudos to Bill for the publication of his newly updated
and expanded "Annotated Checklist of the Birds of Central Ohio" on the
Columbus Audubon website  at
http://columbusaudubon.org/resources/checklists-and-indexes-coh/
Far more than just a checklist, this work provides very detailed
annotations on the status and history of every species in a seven-county
area of the center of the state (129 pages, 382 species!). I'm just digging
into it now and I'm particularly enjoying the carefully researched and
illuminating historical notes. The birdlife of the region has changed in
remarkable ways over the last 140-plus years. To name one example out of
many, Bill's account of the Yellow-throated Warbler has fascinating
details, most of which were new to me. But the whole work looks like a
treasure trove of such insights.

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, Ohio