OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2016

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Oct 2016 17:25:16 -0400
I spent a few hours checking out these two metroparks between tasks today, and found that migrants were scattered over both parks, mostly neotropicals but a healthy dose of temperate migrants too.  At Blendon, I went 'old school' birding around the old ranger station and Apple Ridge area, and forest trails, missing the Goldenrod & Lake Trails.  At Sharon Woods, I looped around Shrock Lake and through the Thomas Preserve and the North meadow.  The list from both parks was surprisingly similar, so I'll condense them:

Red-headed Woodpeckers - Blendon had 1 on the Streamside Trail, Sharon Woods 1 on the Thomas Trail
Flycatchers - none at either park
BlueJays - plenty in both parks with 15-20 at Blendon and 25+ at Sharon
Swifts, Swallows - a few swifts over both parks, but no swallows
Red-br.Nuthatch - 1 was around the old Ranger Station at Blendon
Wrens - lots of House Wrens, with 2-3 at each Park
Thrushes - only 1-2 Swainson's at each Park, but small flocks of Robins were also present at both
E.Bluebirds - Blendon had a flock of 8, while Sharon Woods had only 2

Warblers - Blendon had 8 species, while Sharon Woods had 9, with Redstarts, Nashvilles, Magnolias, Black-thr.Greens and CommonYellowthroats being the most common in both.  Sharon had a flock of 5 Yellow-rumps.

Sparrows - Fields, Chipping, and Songs in both; Blendon Had a White-throated, while Sharon had Swamp & Lincolns

Tanagers - the only one was a calling Summer in the Apple Ridge area of Blendon
Grosbeaks,Buntings - a Rose-br.Grosbeak was at Sharon, while an Indigo Bunting was at Blendon
Blackbirds - still very scarce, with only a few grackles at each Park