OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2016

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2016 00:36:28 +0000
 On Friday (11/25) I went to the business park just east of the old Euclid Square Mall on the east side of East 260th St in Euclid.  At first I only saw one American Kestrel kiting above the field but then another joined it and they chased each other near the empty bldg. and then one left.  During that another unknown small raptor flew in a disappeared quickly.  I watched the Kestrel a long time sitting on the electric lines and then continue with the kiting.  It apparently landed on a tree near the parking lot as I was leaving when I noticed across to the other field another raptor and Kestrel chasing each other.  I could see the other one was a Merlin.  I watched the Merlin fly west across E. 260th St. to a tree just south of the entrance to the former Euclid Square Mall near where Red Lobster used to be.  I was able to drive over there and get better views from that bldgs parking lot while in my car.
Today (11/27) I decided to stop at the Cuyahoga County Airport in Richmond Heights just east of Richmond Rd. on my way to "the lake" in Euclid cause I sometimes see Eagles and Swans fly thru there.  I drove east on Curtiss Wright Pkwy and saw a Red-tailed Hawk sitting in a tree near last bldgs.  After driving thru I returned driving west on Curtiss Wright just as I approached the light at Richmond Rd I saw a Red-shouldered Hawk flying west across the grass towards some pine trees.  After checking that out as I was pulling out of the parking lot area just south of the disk golf course area I saw a small raptor flying from behind me but heading east along Curtiss Wright Pkwy possibly landing near the trees further along the road.  I drove east and pulled into the red brick Horizon Bldg and looked around and could not find it.  As I was pulling out of the parking lot I looked across the street and in a tree along Curtiss Wright was a Merlin.  So the sun was shining and I got very good looks at it from the car in the parking lot.
Nancy Anderson, Richmond Hts,https://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/