OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2016

From:
James Smallwood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Smallwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 2016 22:30:08 +0000

I birded the south end of Alum Creek Lake and the northwestern end of Hoover Reservoir from the east end of Plumb Road/S Old 3C Hwy today. I’m new to the area but I’m starting to figure things out thanks to Rob Thorn’s Columbus Audubon field trip last week.

Alum Creek

I started at the New Galena Boat Ramp. Of note were 2 adult Bald Eagles and 37 Mallards. I moved on to the Kayak Launch at the Lewis Center Picnic Area. I added 400+ American Coots, 2 Hooded Mergansers, and 2 Common Loons. From the Africa Road side of the dam, I added 4 Bonaparte’s Gulls, 8 Black Scoters, and 9 Bufflehead.

Hoover Reservoir

I birded the northwestern end of Hoover Reservoir.  Of note 37 Bonaparte’s,

4 Green-winged Teal, 3 Bufflehead, 2 Cormorants. A Cooper’s Hawk was located in the bike trail parking lot at the end of Plumb Road.