OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2016

From:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2016 10:23:39 -0500
In preparation for winter birding I was searching the eBird Species maps for past reports of long-eared owls. I saw that there were five reported in the Oberlin area back in 2013. FIVE? Are you kidding???

Does anyone have a Flickr account with photos? Back then, one could not attach photos to eBird reports.

If anyone wants to share memories of those owls, I would like to hear them.
If anyone has some advice about where a long-eared owl might be seen in the general NE Ohio area, please let me know. I think they like large groves of conifers. But, that is not always the case.

From looking at the eBird maps I have seen the various spots where these owls have been reported in the recent past including Brecksville Reservation, the Kendall Lake area (CVNP), both North and South Chagrin Reservations, and  various spots farther east.

I did see one of these owls at the Penitentiary Glen Wildlife Rehab Center some years ago.

Thanks.

Ken