OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2016

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2016 20:43:02 -0400
Late migration continues to bubble along here in & around Columbus, with some of the last landbird stragglers, as well as the first inklings of waterbird migration.  I visited areas around this dam on the Scioto along the north edge of Dublin, stopping at the area up around Home Rd, at the park just below the dam, and at Twin Lakes.  Among the birds of interest were:

Cormorants - still 2-3 along the reservoir here
Waterfowl - surprisingly light, with no ducks except a few Mallards.  Did have 8 Coots above the dam.
Bonaparte's Gulls - the first size-able flock here, with 120+ flitting over the reservoir just south of the Home Rd Bridge
TurkeyVultures - at least 56 were roosting on the towers just west of the Dam
E.Bluebirds - singles were near Home Rd Bridge and at Twin Lakes
CedarWaxwings - small flocks at all 3 locations
Tree Sparrows - a pair near the Home Rd Bridge was my FOS, which is almost always in the first week of November for this surprisingly predictable late-arriver
Juncos - much more widespread here now, with small #s at every stop.