OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2016

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 2016 18:26:38 -0500
The Columbus Audubon trip along the Scioto River in Columbus found a chilly but interesting morning.  We started at Scioto Audubon (after I made an early side trip to Berliner Park), then visited Watermakr Lake, Marble Cliff bikepath, and Griggs Dam area.  Despite the snow & ice on land, the water was largely ice-free except for a shelf in the still water of the bay at Scioto Audubon.  Waterfowl were not abundant, but we did have some interesting birds.  Raptors & landbirds put on an equally interesting show.  Notables included:

Merlin - an adult was perched nonchalantly along the bikepath at Scioto Audubon
Cooper's Hawks - an immature was trying to corral breakfast at the Scioto Audubon feeders, while an adult was patrolling the shore at Watermark Lake.
N.Shovelers - at least 5 were at Watermark Lake
Ring-necked Duck - 5 were along the bikepath at Marble Cliff
Hooded Mergansers - small flocks at every stop, with 20+ at Marble Cliff the high
Pied-billed Grebes - 2 were in the still water above Griggs Dam
Cormorant - at least 1 was along the river at Scioto Audubon
Rock Dove - commuter flocks over Scioto Audubon totaling nearly 500 birds were an impressive sight
Brown Creepers - still a bit scarce, but 3 were at Berliner and 2 more were below Griggs Dam
Kinglets - only Golden-crowned, with 1 at Berliner and 2 more below Griggs Dam
Mockingbird - one was defending a berry bush at the Boat Ramp parking lot at Scioto Audubon