OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2016

From:
Ken Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Dec 2016 20:52:09 -0500
​

Ohio birders have added several shared bird reporting hotspots to eBird.

http://ohioebirdhotspots.wikispaces.com/

Knox County

Kokosing Gravel Pits

http://ohioebirdhotspots.wikispaces.com/Kokosing+Gravel+Pits

Lucas County

Maumee Bay State Park--Multi-use Trail

http://ohioebirdhotspots.wikispaces.com/Maumee+Bay+State+Park--Multi-use+Trail

Morrow County

Bryn Zion Cemetery

http://ohioebirdhotspots.wikispaces.com/Bryn+Zion+Cemetery

At the suggestion of Brian Wulker, the eBird checklist reviewer for
southwest Ohio, we have made changes to several hotspots in that part of
the state.

Hamilton County

Cincinnati Zoological Gardens (please do not report the ducks)

http://ohioebirdhotspots.wikispaces.com/Cincinnati+Zoological+Gardens

- We have added (please do not report the ducks) to the hotspot name. You
would be amazed at how many records of captive waterfowl are invalidated
from the zoo.

Eden Park

http://ohioebirdhotspots.wikispaces.com/Eden+Park

- We have merged the sublocation for Mirror Lake into the general hotspot.
This is a small enough park that one hotspot can collect checklists for the
whole park.

Great Miami River--Mt. Hope Rd.

- We have reverted this to a shared personal location among the birders who
have submitted checklists. This is private property, and the original
checklist was from a CBC with permission to walk. It does not currently
have public access.

Miami Whitewater Forest

http://ohioebirdhotspots.wikispaces.com/Miami+Whitewater+Forest

- We have added (please use a more specific location) to the general
hotspot for the forest. When you visit this large park, please use more
specific hotspots for your checklists rather than submitting one checklist
for the whole forest.

- The Tallgrass Prairie Trail has been merged into Bowles Woods and the new
name of this hotspot is Miami Whitewater Forest--Bowles Woods and Tallgrass
Prairie Trail.

- The Parcours Trail has been merged into Timber Lakes and the hotspot is
renamed Miami Whitewater Forest--Timberlakes and Oakleaf Trails.

- The Timber Lakes Drive hotspot has been renamed Miami Whitewater
Forest--West Rd. Bridge Environs. Parking for this hotspot is available off
Timberlakes Drive.

- The Hickory Knoll Picnic Area hotspot has been merged into the hotspot
for Miami Whitewater Forest--Badlands Trail.

Mt. Airy Forest

http://ohioebirdhotspots.wikispaces.com/Mt.+Airy+Forest

- This park now has a general hotspot, Mt. Airy Forest, and two
sublocations.

Riverside Park

http://ohioebirdhotspots.wikispaces.com/Riverside+Park+Cincinnati

- The hotspot for Newtown Market Fields has been merged into Riverside
Park, Cincinnati, since the only way to view the fields safely is from the
park.

Shawnee Lookout

http://ohioebirdhotspots.wikispaces.com/Shawnee+Lookout

- Shawnee Lookout County Park and Shawnee Lookout--Park Rd. have been
combined into a single general location for this county park and is now
named Shawnee Lookout. The is a sublocation for the park at the Boat Ramp.

Summit Park

http://ohioebirdhotspots.wikispaces.com/Summit+Park+Blue+Ash

- We renamed the Blue Ash Airport hotspot. It is now Summit Park (formerly
Blue Ash Airport). Blue Ash is developing the former airport site as a park
with many amenities.

Clermont County

East Fork State Park

http://ohioebirdhotspots.wikispaces.com/East+Fork+State+Park

- We have added (please use a more specific location) to the general
hotspot for this state park. East Fork is a large park, please use more
specific hotspots for your checklists rather than submitting one checklist
for the whole state park.

Ken Ostermiller
eBird Hotspot reviewer for Ohio​