OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2016

Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2016 11:00:58 -0500
We've had a Red-Breasted Nuthatch visiting feeders since Nov 11th in SW
Columbus suburb.  I'd read they can be quite tame but hadn't experienced
that behavior until yesterday.  I stepped out on the patio thinking there
weren't any birds around, then heard that funny little "een ink meep" from
the pergola vines just over my head.  The RB nuthatch then went to the
peanut feeder with me lingering about 8 feet away, which is closer than the
chickadees let me get.

Of course when I'm not outside the house sparrows are on the rampage and
discourage other birds.  What a mess.

Susanna Heideman

SW Columbus/Galloway, Franklin County OH