OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2016

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2016 09:47:51 -0500
The topic title is just to get your attention. It is fairly routine to
hear and read birders' reports of owls, and this time of year the
not-so-frequent appearances of strikingly white snowy owls in wide-open
spaces is when we hear about them from observers. I have plenty of
opinions about the behavior of humans in these circumstances, but won't
rehearse them here..."YOU CAN FIND THOUSANDS OF GREAT PHOTOS OF SNOWY
OWLS FOR FREE ON THE INTERNET"... no, no, make me stop!
        I realize only small select communities like ours and the Connecticut
site carry actual conversation among their users. I guess Ohio-birds has
lost its luster for serious bird observers---we saw no posts here
yesterday, one the day before, five the day before that---but the
Connecticut list, serving a population 1/3 the size of Ohio's
[http://birding.aba.org/maillist/CT01] had 33 yesterday, 15 of them
about their not-so-rare snowies and "owl etiquette", with a tasty bit of
snarkiness of course but many quite informative views from thoughtful
experienced observers. It's worthwhile looking at these, where most
posters seem to have seen a lot of owls, and read with care the opinions
of those who've paid attention to others' remarks, something you seldom
see on the Ohio list...
Just sayin',
Bill Whan