OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2016

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Dec 2016 20:03:04 -0500
Conditions on the Hoover CBC today were a little slick, but the cold temperatures resulted in a waterbird bonanza.  The reservoir is frozen above the Sunbury Bridge, and the ice line is south of the bridge, and will probably be down close to Maxtown launch after the next few cold days.  Our team had the western shore of Hoover from the dam up to Mudhen, and we wound up with 55 species, bulked up with a large waterfowl haul.  Included were:

Long-tailed Duck - spotted by sharp-eyed Carl Winstead, this winter beauty was off the Maxtown Boat Ramp
Tundra Swan - a single bird was on the ice at the Sunbury causeway, then flew south

Dabbling Ducks - squads at many places, and included Mallards, N.Shovelers, Gadwalls, Wigeon, Black Ducks, and a N.Pintail.  A Wood Duck was along the shore north of the Maxtown Boat Ramp.

Diving Ducks - small groups of Redheads and Ring-necked Ducks were north of the CountyLine Bridge, while small #s of Ruddy Ducks were at several locations.

Mergansers - Hooded Mergansers were everywhere, including over 300 north of the CountyLine Bridge.  3 Red-br.Mergansers were with them, and 6 Common Mergansers were in a hole in the ice south of Sunbury bridge.

Other waterbirds - 1 Cormorant was off Walnut St. Boat Ramp, while Horned & Pied-billed grebes were north of the dam.  A Coot was also off the dam.

BaldEagles - a juvenile flew over the waterfowl flocks north of the CountyLine Bridge, while an adult was flying south of the Sunbury Bridge.