OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2016

From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 2016 16:23:17 -0500
From personal experience, Eurasian collared doves do indeed appear to have
displaced native doves in certain areas. My own observations from the area
around Fernandina Beach, FL, back in the 90s, was that no mourning doves
were around, yet there were dozens of collared doves in the area where our
research vessel was ported, a mile inside the sea buoy. (The extreme
northeastern corner of Florida.) These were actually my "lifer" Eurasian
collared doves. (I count them - personal rules.) I found this interesting,
since mourning doves were present in other fairly nearby locations, down
closer to Jacksonville, in Duval County.

I was left with the impression that the two species do not really coexist
well, although I have no quantitative data to back that up, only
qualitative personal impressions. Perhaps when a local population of
collared doves becomes well-established it does not bode well for nearby
mourning doves.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County