OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2016

From:
Dave Horn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Horn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2016 16:43:33 -0500
Hello Ohio Birders,

A thought in reaction to Bill's comments: The "initial discoveries" noted
by Bill may have been concentrated in central Ohio not only because of
relative ease of observation/collection but also might reflect the
distribution of competent observers.  Not to take anything away from
Cleveland, Toledo, Dayton or Cincinnati area birders but central Ohio has
long been a bastion of birding expertise (Wheaton, Trautman, Claugus et
al.), and more birding effort was expended closer to home in the days
before Interstate highways.  (I commenced my birding career in the Boston
area and in the early 1950s and if a rarity showed up on the Rhode Island
coast one simply would not, and could not, make a "chase" and return in a
single day.)

Happy birding!

Dave Horn
Columbus OH