OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2016

From:
James Muller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Muller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2016 03:02:11 +0000
John,

I was skeptical too, but everything made sense today when I met with the
birder who took the images. He was able to show us images on his camera,
including the ones posted to eBird and additional photos of the bird in
flight as it left the beach to the north. After last night's storm, it's
not a surprise that the bird did not return.

I also reverse image searched the eBird photos and had no hits.

He explained that he's a photographer first, so it took him some time to
identify the bird and then additional time to figure out how to post to
eBird, since full-resolution photos are often too large for upload.

It's a remarkable find, and a real blessing for a birder who was in the
right place at the right time! It reminds me of the only Ohio record of a
Crested Caracara... He's going to file a report with the Ohio BRC. In the
meantime, we can all hope the bird comes back!

Good birding,
James Muller