OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2016

From:
Jay Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2016 08:04:48 -0500
Well said, Jon.  I know that part of my (healthy?) skepticism comes from
one side of my PA Dutch heritage and also my scientific training and +34
years of experience in scientific work where "hard" data/numbers and
verifiable information is demanded/required either by regulations, good
science or good business practice expectations.  However, in my birding
avocation where people are involved and the data is not numbers, I have
learned from experience to put my skepticism aside and go looking for the
bird.  I have several past examples of either not believing the report or
believing that the record would not be accepted and not going to try to see
the bird, much to my later chagrin, when the record was accepted by state
and ABA records committees.

Like Jon and others, I no longer am a skeptic about this report and I did
not have the pleasure of meeting the observer/photographer!  I believed
enough to spend almost a full day from about 10 am until after sunset,
except for a brief foray for food and drink, searching, scanning and hoping
for a second miracle, and by-the-way having a great time doing so!  Lots of
fun!

Jay G. Lehman
Cincinnati, OH
Sent from Droid Turbo