OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2017

From:
John Herman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Herman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jan 2017 06:46:02 -0500
I wouldn't be surprised if someone relocates the Ivory Gull at some Ohio
landfill. I'm not familiar with other landfills, but the challenge at the
Richland and Crawford county landfills is getting close enough to the
birds. Forget about trying to get access to these areas. Been there, done
that. There is a Michigan U. P. landfill that after people notify the
landfill operators, that birders can drive on top of the landfill to look
at gulls, etc.. Little different, and better, thinking up in Yopper land
than here. Guess everyone can't be paranoid about being sued or worried
that someone is going to see operations at a landfill that violate EPA
regulations. If you have not been to the Michigan upper peninsula, I highly
recommend it. Beautiful country and Whitefish Point is an excellent
migration area, with owl banding, including a few Boreals, lots of
saw-whets and great raptor and passerine birds. Winter can sometimes be
good for Snowy,  Hawk & Great gray owls and northern finches.
I digress. Sometimes a birder can do pretty well at the Seneca County, Ohio
 landfill. The Columbus SWACO might offer the Ivory Gull something to its
liking. Please be careful near these landfills, with all the traffic and
large trucks.
What we need is a cold spell so Lake Erie at least partially freezes,
sending glaucous and great black-backed gulls, etc. south to landfills.
Good birding,
John Herman