OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2017

From:
Donald Comis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2017 16:25:04 -0500
We have a flock of 60 black vultures at Apple Valley that may be our first year-round flock.  They have been coming in time for the Audubon Christmas Bird Count each year but this year they came early and are showing mating behavior.

I e-mailed Jim McCormac and he said this has been happening all over Ohio since the 2004 publication of his "Birds of Ohio".

In that book the black vultures had expanded year-long residency northward only in pockets of central Ohio, such as Holmes County.

I'd suspect global warming.

Because I had a wounded turkey vulture outside from around Dec. 4 to Jan. 16, for a short time I had both black and turkey vultures in my yard.

I think the turkey vulture healed and flew away, fed on road kill I provided.

I'm wondering why turkey vultures don't stop migrating south as well.

Sent from my iPhone