OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2017

From:
Pam Unger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Unger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2017 05:48:36 +0000
I took advantage of the unseasonably balmy weather to stop by Inniswood for the third time in a week--no sign of the resident red-breasted nuthatch(es?) today though because the Innis House bird feeders hadn't been filled, but I spent a pleasant hour or so on the boardwalk.  Bird activity was steady, reminding me of a bit of lore shared with me years ago by Joe, an early Greenlawn Cemetery birding mentor:  if rain is passing through, the birds will hunker down and wait for it to pass, but if it's going to keep up, they just go about their business.  Notables besides the usual suspects: Bluebirds--a pairCarolina wrens--2 of them caroling back and forthbrown creeper--one (a personal favorite)red-headed woodpeckers--at least 3, including at least one adult and at least one juvenile.  A group seems to hang out        together in the same vicinity so I wonder if it's a family from this summer?owl pellet--one on a tree stump, probably placed there by a human rather than an owl; no other signs that I spotted, but      where there's an owl pellet, there must be an owl somewhere, right?blue jay doing a spot on imitation of a red-tailed hawk scream
Inniswood is a pleasant place to spend an hour in any season or any weather so I encourage you to check it out.  Good birding!  Pam Unger Look, I want to love this world / As though it's the last chance / I'm ever going to get / To be alive / And know it.
--Mary Oliver, "Alive"