OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2017

Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2017 07:00:15 -0500
In late December 2015, a Kingbird was found on Kelley’s Island.  I made my first trek to the island to go birding and get a look at this bird in particular.  Many other birders were there the day I went, which was December 26th.  Tom Bartlett was there, of course, and we were all staked out to see the bird.  Eventually, we all saw it and I was able to get some pretty great pictures of it before I left.  At one point, I was watching it with Kenn and Kim Kaufmann and we heard it call.  I believe Kenn was able to get audio recordings of it.  I did as well.

Anyway, I saw on here a few months back that a program was going to be presented on this bird that would shed light on whether or not it was a Couch’s x Western Kingbird hybrid, or something else.  I have not seen any follow up on whether or not that program happened and what, if any, conclusions were drawn about this bird.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks in advance!

Jon Cefus
Leesville Lake