OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2017

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2017 15:37:58 -0500
Greetings!

     Well, it took a week of looking at all times of the day and at several
locations, but I finally got my FOS Snow and Ross's Geese.  There are
around 20 in all.  I saw at least 1 Ross's in the mix.  They are in a field
bordering Marion and Union Counties along Winnemac Pike.
     For me, this will be a record January. Last year it was 50, the year
before 60.  Right now it's 77.  I am hoping that it will be around 80 for
January, not the lofty goal ofv100.  I have yet to go walking through
Blendon Woods, and there are enough birds that I don't have there to bring
me to that mark...

Other notes from the field:

1. I have seen a lot more Bicycle Helmets (White-crowned) and less Chin
Straps (White-throated) this year at Killdeer Plains.

2.  Lots of "smoke" on the horizon the past week as squadrons of Geese are
making there way south/north..wherever they are heading. :-D. As well as a
few waterfowl hunters out in the fields...Be careful.

3. In relation to the previous smoke comment,  It looks that Wyandott will
be getting more "metal trees" to go along with the one to the west along
the north of CR 71...all the gravel drives and temporary post roads that
are going in, are undoubtedly for the heavy equipment that will soon be
coming next...I can't think of anything else it could be for.  We'll have
to see what happens with that.  I do find it...interesting...that there are
no signs touting what all the access strips will be for...Hopefully some
regulations will be in place regarding when they are running.  If not, I
think the waterfowl hunting community might have something to say about it.

4. And on the feeder front...Red ribbon is still for the most part,
working.  I have had one or two brave souls a day, but the other 50 stay on
the ground eating the cup or so of seed and cracked corn I spread on the
ground for the ground scratchers, (Squirrels, Jays, Sparrows, and
Cardinals...And whatever else flies in.)

Anyhew,

Happy Birding, and God bless.

Steve J.