OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2017

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2017 23:05:05 -0500
Greetings!

     I spent the day up in the Magee Marsh/Toledo area totally destroying
my goal of 80 species. Truth to tell, I was already at 93 when I left La
Rue, and by the time I returned, I am at an ever so close 99.  HOPEFULLY I
will be able to get over the hump tomorrow at Killdeer Plains before work.

All of the chase birds were still up at Magee. The  Northern Shrike along
the Magee Causeway gave spectacular views in the early morning fog.  LOTs
of Blackbirds over near Maumee Bay at least one Yellow-headed Blackbird was
there.  Only thing out on the water at Magee were Common Mergansers and
Snow Geese...If there was anything else I couldn't see it due to the
mist/fog on the lake that kept visibility to around 100 yards.

ALSO, what I thought were going to be "metal trees" (aka Windmills) turns
out is going to be a oil pipeline going over to Lima from Harpster to
transport Oil from Utica. If you want to read the Ohio EPA permit
application, you can find it here:
http://wwwapp.epa.state.oh.us/dsw/401Applications/HLP/Item1%20ApplicationForm/Item1%20FINAL_061416-7.pdf

Happy birding and God Bless!!

Steve J.