OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2017

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2017 00:07:00 -0500
Nothing REALLY spectacular this weekend.

Woodcocks have returned to La Rue.  I hear at least 5 or 6 peenting and
flying out in the switch grass to the north west of town.

A Blue-winged Teal was on the Marion County side of the road across from
Pond 27 at Killdeer Plains(Wyandot) yesterday.  Also had 130-140 Greater
White-fronted Geese in Pond 27(a). Lots of ducks, and Harriers at most of
the ponds and wet spots.  The Reservoir is almost drained, and as a result
there are not that many waterfowl. Still waiting on Wood Ducks.  Lots of
pipeline construction happening to the north of CH71, be careful and watch
for crews along 71.  No Long-eared Owls as far as I know.  I have a theory
that part of the "problem" for them is that the areas that are the
traditional grounds are also hunted quite regularly,(Deer and Varmints) so
maybe they just can't handle all the shooting, and are out looking for
quieter spots.  Not the complete reason, but certainly a factor.

Big Island Wildlife Area (Marion) is kind of slow, but it is kind of
birdy.  Lots of ducks hiding in the grass, not much in the open waters.
Eagles everywhere.  Snipe out on Herr Road.  Harriers are loving the wind,
I imagine the Short-eared Owls are not.

Lawrence Woods (Hardin) had 31 species.  Basic migrants are returning
Blackbirds setting up territory, Meadowlarks are as well.  Killdeer are at
every wet spot around the preserve.  I took the opportunity to drive around
the perimeter of Lawrence Woods and got a couple of raptors that were
hiding out in the back.  Barred Owls were calling all around the back side
of the boardwalk.  Red-headed Woodpeckers are starting to really shine
again. Waiting for first wave of long distance migrants, hoping for
Yellow-bellied Woodpeckers again.

County lists below.

Happy birding and God bless,

Steve J

54 species over the past two days.

Killdeer had 32 species:
Greater White-fronted Goose
Snow Goose
Canada Goose
Trumpeter Swan
Tundra Swan
Gadwall
American Wigeon
American Black Duck
Mallard
Blue-winged Teal
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Redhead
Ring-necked Duck
Hooded Merganser
Northern Harrier
Bald Eagle
Red-tailed Hawk
Sandhill Crane
Killdeer
American Kestrel
Blue Jay
American Crow
Horned Lark
American Robin
European Starling
American Tree Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird
House Sparrow

Big Island Wildlife Area had 15 species...although I am missing a checklist
somewhere...I'm missing Ring-billed Gulls from the generated lists below.

Canada Goose
Trumpeter Swan
American Wigeon
American Black Duck
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Northern Harrier
Bald Eagle
Red-tailed Hawk
Killdeer
Wilson's Snipe
Mourning Dove
American Kestrel

Lawrence Woods had 31 species:

Canada Goose
Ring-necked Pheasant
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Killdeer
Mourning Dove
Barred Owl
Red-headed Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Blue Jay
American Crow
Horned Lark
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling
American Tree Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark
Common Grackle
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

And I finished the day here in La Rue with American Woodcock.