OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2017

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2017 12:57:03 -0500
While doing my weekly feeder watch, an new visitor came to my feeders.  A
Fox Sparrow flew in with a bunch of American Tree Sparrows and is now
feeding quite happily on the seed that I spill on the ground for the ground
feeding birds....make that TWO!  As I was writing this ANOTHER Fox Sparrow
has joined the first and is singing.

As far as the "normal" feeder birds, until today, it has been a bit
sparse.  Except for a few titmice and nuthatches, my feeders have been
empty the past few warm days...It seems the snow has covered their normal
feeding areas, and all of the ground feeding birds have returned for a
quick bit of BOSunflower seeds...either that or the cracked corn...

The Male Cardinals are also vying for the affection of the lady Cardinals,
creating havoc among the ground feeders.

I'm half expecting a Sharpie before the days end.

...and finally for the one or two that do not want to think about it,
although I haven't seen them today, for the past couple of days I have had
American Robins in my yard...a sign of spring...nah, that distinction
belongs to the lowly Killdeer. (That's me just pullin' a chain..) :-D

Anyhew the list from this morning is below.

Happy birding and God bless,

Steve J.

La Rue, 166 North Front Street, Marion, Ohio, US
Feb 10, 2017 10:05 AM - 11:05 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     Feeder watch.  New snow fall attracting field and ground
feeding birds.
16 species

Mourning Dove  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  2
Carolina Chickadee  4
Tufted Titmouse  5
White-breasted Nuthatch  3
European Starling  1
American Tree Sparrow  20
Fox Sparrow  2     Larger sparrows with red and grey face. Triangle shaped
spots on chest.  One was singing.
Dark-eyed Junco  8
White-crowned Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  4