OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2017

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Feb 2017 10:44:06 -0500
I would be interested in hearing from Ohio birders--especially on this
list where everyone can share--about the status of the Eurasian
collared-dove in the state.
        Do you see more, or fewer, of them recently?  How about nests? Do you
find they are easier to find in certain regions of the state? Which?
        I held in my hands the first scientific specimen of this species from
Ohio (Crawford County) back in 2001, and Troy Shively and I were first
to report finding a nest in 2009, in Logan County. The Breeding Bird
Atlas of 2016 references BBS results indicating that this species
"increased by an incredible 33 percent per year since the mid-1960s."
This cannot refer to Ohio, as the species was unknown here in the '60s.
  The latest Ohio Cardinal reported a high count of three for last
summer's season, with eleven counties reporting this species.
        Most folks don't know how to tell this bird from the mourning dove, but
I'm hoping that birders, and listers, might have more accurate notions
of their numbers these days. Are their numbers increasing, steady, or
decreasing???
Thanks,
Bill Whan