OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2017

From:
troy shively <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
troy shively <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2017 00:17:46 +0000
Bill and all,
In western Ohio, this species has spread but at a snails pace.  Currently they are resident in Logan, Auglaize, Mercer, but they have always been found in towns that have grain elevators.  Even if you know they are there, you can make 5-6 trips without seeing them.    There is a pair in the small town of Uniopolis(Auglaize county).  The town is only about 3 roads long by three roads wide and includes a large grain elevator.  I drive through that town every day and look for them as I drive through.  Even knowing where they usually hang out I find them about 20% of the time.  In Logan county, they are hanging out at a grain elevator in the middle of no where with only three houses around.  I have spend 20-30 minutes looking before I found them and they are almost always found by their call as they tend to hide in pine/spruces and often stay in their hiding place for long periods of time.  I would suggest that if you have a small town with a grain elevator, drive through it and if you don't see them, find a group of evergreens and play their call.  They often respond quickly.  In Celina, which used to be the hotbed, they have dwindled to a couple pairs which usually hangout between the elevator on market street and the entrance to the bike path that goes along Coldwater Creek.  I expect they are in every county out here, but I also expect that it might take several trips and a lot of time to find them.
Cheers,
Troy Shivley

Sent from my iPhone