OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2017

From:
Helen Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Helen Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2017 14:43:50 -0500
Hello,

Bluebirds were singing loudly at many of the nest boxes, including two bat
boxes! during Ken's and my walk this morning.  Although we have seen
numerous bluebirds recently, we hadn't seen such territoriality.

Wondering about their night-time roosts since the covers remain on the nest
boxes this early in the season, I was reminded of a time several years ago
when we were at Lawrence Woods at dusk, watching for Short-eared Owls, when
we watched three bluebirds go to roost on a low branch of one of the small
oak trees, among the leaves that the young oaks hold tight to throughout
the winter.  The birds really disappeared on that branch among the leaves!

There were a number of waterfowl at Wellington Reservation, as well,
including 8 Pintails, 8 American Wigeon, quite a few Mallards and Canada
Geese.

Helen Ostermiller