OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2017

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2017 02:24:00 -0500
This all reminds me of when I was down in FLA in October.  I was able to
talk to some of the non-migratory birders about some of the local birds.

One thing I took notice of is the LACK of MODOs in urban areas.  My local
birders contact said that they were being crowded out by the
Eurasians...But only in the urban and suburban areas.  When you leave the
city, MODOs return to the telephone wires.  It seems, if I remember
correctly, the MODOs couldn't compete as well in the urban areas for food
sources.  I would check where they are actually reported on eBird...Might
be something there.

Another thing that comes to mind as I see the distribution maps is they
seem to doing well in the agricultural areas where there is minimal if any
frost...Again probable abundance of food sources.  Kentucky #1 (legal) cash
crop is still tobacco, and generally the grains are produced for farm
animals on sight...mostly corn.  This is true for most of Southern
Appalachia. Very little grain is sent to elavators where most of our
Eurasians have been found.  Also a lot of the corn is still harvested on
the cob, so there is little chance for loss.

A third thing in our case is that we have a ton of small Sparrows, Snow
Buntings, and Horned Larks to eat the grasses and grain spills.

So my thought is that in our case, because we still have a freeze/frost
agricultural area, plus all of the small grain eating winter birds, there
is not enough grain and seed to supply the Eurasian's appetite.

Just my wooden nickle's worth.

Happy birding and God bless,

Steve J.