OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2017

From:
Doreene Linzell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doreene Linzell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2017 20:38:13 -0500
Four of us observed a Common Raven perched in a tree top this morning at about 11:00 a.m. We were there for at least half an hour and observed this bird from two different vantage points. This location is in Harrison County near New Athens. If you take SR 519 east from SR 22 and head to New Athens, you will come to an UNMARKED road going north. At the entrance, there is a stop sign (if you were coming out) and a red steel gate on either side of the road. There are no road signs with a name or number, but on a map the road appears to be numbered 29 or 93. It goes up a gentle hill and eventually comes out on top of a large expanse of reclaimed land. We saw the raven perched at the top of a tree from a fairy long distance, so a scope was essential. The best field marks were the overall large size of the bird, and when it turned its head just right we could see its very large beak. The body posture was good for Raven and no wing-flicking behavior (as observed in American Crow) was seen for these extended looks. This road eventually comes to an end by three huge tires.

My phone did not allow me to get a GPS while I was there, but, in looking at a map on my computer the following GPS will get you in the area:
40.206748, -81.008685. A group of six Ravens have been reported in this same area recently.

Bill Kinkead
Doreene Linzell
Dan Sanders
Jason Simonis