OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2017

From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2017 12:07:27 -0500
This morning, as we took our walk around the property a little later than
usual (10:30,) I heard my first-of-season field sparrow singing along the
center fencerow at the top of our pasture hill, a high spot along Flint
Ridge.

I'll admit that I haven't been paying much attention to the sparrow, at
least visually. Field sparrows may have been around already, just not
vocal. The singing field sparrow is earlier than usual by a week or two,
not surprising, since it is 64 degrees F.

The unseasonably warm weather has activated plenty of singers: song
sparrows, house finches, cardinals, of course Carolina wrens (who seem to
sing all winter.) Flickers are flickering, and woodpeckers have begun to
drum. Screaming killdeer are frequent overhead.

Plenty of worm castings are in emerging grass and on the soil surface,
indicating a food source, but I have not heard or seen woodcocks here yet.

Our sheep are trying to graze.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County