OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2017

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 2017 00:51:09 +0000
 I went to Wildwood/Villa Angela and Euclid Beach Park today from 11:35 to 1:55pm.  I did not spend much time in Wildwood only looked in the marina which was partially frozen and didn't see anything interesting other than the gulls-I walked thru Villa Angela to Euclid Beach Park and I immediately saw the female Long-tailed Duck preening or sleeping with a few Red-breasted Mergansers just north a one of the rock piles just east of where the pier was torn down last year.  I couldn't see it very well so I walked down the beach but the rocks blocked the view and I could not find it again - it apparently disappeared - I looked and looked for a long time and could not find it.  I gave up and walked thru Villa Angela and didn't see many land birds so I went back to the marina to see if the duck was there and it was not.  So I drove to Euclid Beach Park around 1pm near where the former pier was and could not find it again.  I saw the RB Mergs that it was with but it was nowhere.  Then after 10 mins it instantly appeared near the first rockpile.  It was not diving as much in the beginning but it started to dive for longer periods and started slowing moving east to the other rock piles.  I left after watching it for 25 mins when I was in front of Villa Angela (just east of mobile home park) -
Nancy Anderson, Richmond Hts,  https://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/