OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2017

From:
Douglas Vogus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Douglas Vogus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2017 20:10:37 -0400
A run through some Summit County hotspots today yielded plenty of lingering
waterfowl as well as the return of the expected early spring
migrants/residents. Highlights follow.

NIMISILA RESERVOIR

Canada Goose - 32
Wood Duck - 5 (3m,2f)
Gadwall - 4 (2m,2f)
American Wigeon - 1 (m)
Mallard - 11 (7m,4f)
Redhead - 21 (14m,7f)
Ring-necked Duck - 4 (2m,2f)
Lesser Scaup - about 175 (no Greater Scaup found)
Bufflehead - 32 (21m,11f)
Hooded Merganser - 6 (3m,3f)
Red-breasted Merganser - 6 (4m,2f)
Ruddy Duck - 10 (6m,4f - one male ahead of the rest in brilliant breeding
plumage)
Pied-billed Grebe - 8
Horned Grebe - 33
American Coot - 295
Killdeer - 2
Bonaparte's Gull - 6 (flying & left as soon as we got there, headed
north/northwest)
Common Loon - 3 (one calling & preening belly feathers - rolling onto its
side with one foot extended - nice!)
Great Blue Heron - 3 (2 on new nests on first island at north end off of
Christman Rd. next to Osprey nest)
Turkey Vulture - 1
Bald Eagle - 1 (immature that scattered many of the ducks at south end
along the dam)
Belted Kingfisher - 1 (m)
Northern Flicker - 3
Pileated Woodpecker - 1
Eastern Phoebe - 3
Tree Swallow - 6
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 2
Eastern Towhee - 1

SPRINGFIELD BOG METRO PARK

Wilson's Snipe - 1
Bonaparte's Gull - 6 (fly-overs - same 6 birds from Nimisila?)
Herring Gull - 1 (fly-over)
Turkey Vulture - 1
Cooper's Hawk - 1 (m)
Red-tailed Hawk - 2 (1 with a fresh-caught Meadow Vole)
Eastern Meadowlark - 1
(also, many Western Chorus Frogs calling, followed by Wood Frogs
(photographed two), then Northern Spring Peepers and 4 Bullfrogs, as well
as 5 dead Bullfrogs around center pond)
Rusty Blackbird - 2 (1m,1f - flipping leaves in Young's Bog)

NORTH RESERVOIR

Double-crested Cormorant - 9
Osprey - 1 (at the top of the tall communications tower on Meyers Island -
the nest platform off the big island off of State Mill Rd. has blown over)
Belted Kingfisher - 1 (m)
Tree Swallow - 9

OHIO & ERIE CANAL TOWPATH TRAIL PARKING LOT IN CLINTON

Red-shouldered Hawk - 2 (one violently dive-bombing a Red-tailed Hawk)
Red-tailed Hawk - 1

BENNER RD. WETLANDS

Gadwall - 8 (4m,4f)
Mallard - 4 (2m,2f)
Northern Shoveler - 4 (2m,2f)
Green-winged Teal - 7 (4m,3f)

WILBETH RD. WETLANDS (just east of the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail)

Canada Goose - 10
Gadwall - 4 (2m,2f)
Mallard - 6 (3m,3f)
Northern Shoveler - 16 (12m,4f)
Ring-necked Duck - 4 (2m,2f)
Lesser Scaup - 2 (1m,1f)
Bufflehead - 16 (10m,6f)
Hooded Merganser - 16 (9m,7f)
Pied-billed Grebe - 2
American Coot - 11
Cooper's Hawk - 1 (f)

SUMMIT LAKE

Canada Goose - 12
Mallard - 6 (3m,3f)
Lesser Scaup - 19 (13m,6f)
Bufflehead - 8 (5m,3f)
Hooded Merganser - 13 (7m,6f)
Red-breasted Merganser - 15 (8m,7f)
Ruddy Duck - 23 (12m,11f)
Pied-billed Grebe - 2
Horned Grebe - 27
American Coot - 91
Ring-billed Gull - 1
Herring Gull - 2

We finished with 64 species for the day.

Douglas W. & Michelle Vogus - Akron, Ohio.