OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2017

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2017 14:54:13 +0000
There was a moderate movement of birds at the Lake Erie Bluffs this morning.  Most of the songbirds were heading west.  Typically the majority are heading east.  There were a few vultures moving, but few hawks.

A northern shrike was observed west of Lane Road.  It was sitting in a birch tree southwest of the observation deck.  It sat there for almost 15 minutes before dropping.  I did not see it again.  Also of note were 2 surf scoters, 2 blue-winged teal, 1 great egret, 1 merlin, 4 tree swallow, , and 1 eastern phoebe.

Lake Erie Bluffs Metropark--Lane Rd., Lake, Ohio, US
Mar 27, 2017 7:00 AM - 10:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments:     It was mostly cloudy with a moderate SW wind and temperatures in the 50s.  Most of the songbirds were flying west.  Typically the majority are heading east.
57 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose  22
Wood Duck  8
Gadwall  7
American Black Duck  8
Mallard  22
Blue-winged Teal  2
Northern Shoveler  2
Green-winged Teal  1
Canvasback  117
Surf Scoter  2
Bufflehead  2
Hooded Merganser  2
Red-breasted Merganser  318
Ruddy Duck  23
Common Loon  6
Horned Grebe  4
Double-crested Cormorant  2
Great Blue Heron  2
Great Egret  1
Turkey Vulture  66
Northern Harrier  1
Bald Eagle  2
Red-tailed Hawk  2
Killdeer  21
Ring-billed Gull  345
Herring Gull  196
Great Black-backed Gull  6
Caspian Tern  2
Mourning Dove  74
Barred Owl  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  9

Pileated Woodpecker  1
American Kestrel  1
Merlin  1
Eastern Phoebe  1
Northern Shrike  1     Observed southwest of the Lane Road trails observation deck.
Blue Jay  3
American Crow  294
Tree Swallow  4
Black-capped Chickadee  2