OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2017

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2017 13:48:51 -0400
What a Monday!

I am trying to bird at least once in every county in Ohio. So Yesterday I
had part of the day off, so I decided to get as many counties on the North
west side that I could visiting hotspots that do not get a lot of
attention.  Mainly I tried to stick to small reservoirs due to the fact
that you can cover a small lake or park pond in minutes rather than hiking
a trail that could take hours. With the exception of Putnam and Van Wert
(See below), I tried to get at least two checklists from each county.

So my route went from Lima Reservoirs then to Defiance Gilmore Res.(Which I
thought was part of Putnam county...but is really part of Van Wert), then
Kalida Park Which I found out was my only stop in Putnam. :-D) Then I just
meandered up to Fulton County's Archbold and Wauseon Reservoirs, picking up
a few places along the way in Henry County.  then down the western counties
of Ohio picking up a few more reservoirs, down to Darke County, Miami, and
Shelby, Finishing up at dusk at Indian Lake in Logan County (I was really
waiting to go back to work...but why waste the daylight. :-D)

So what were the observations from such a grand adventure...first Ohio
counties are screwy. Van Wert, Defiance, and Putnam look like they were cut
out with a scroll saw.  Second every reservoir had at least one loon in it,
with most having at least three.  Third You will never guess where I had
the most bird species...VAN WERT!! followed by Paulding, with 29 and 26
species respectively...Who knew?! :-D  The extra checklist didn't add much
to Van Wert, What I found at Defiance-Gilmore were found at Van Wert's main
reservoirs.  I did however pick up a few extra woodlot species at Convoy
Park.  the rest of the counties were 15-19 species. and finally I feel
sorry for those who live at Indian Lake...Rafts of Gulls were along the far
side of the lake from Old Field beach and I could hear them on the
beach...they sounded like thousands of Blackbirds, so I can just imagine
how it sounded over along the islands. :-D

Rather than list all 18 checklists, I will just put a synopsis of the ones
for
Van Wert and Paulding since they never seem to get any attention :-D But
what was seen there was seen elsewhere, just not all together.

Happy birding and God bless,

Steve J

Delphos-Gillmor Reservoir, Van Wert, OH
Canada Goose  22
Mallard  5
Bufflehead  4
Ruddy Duck  9
Horned Grebe  3
Killdeer  5
Mourning Dove  2
Song Sparrow  2
Red-winged Blackbird  50
Eastern Meadowlark  1

Convoy Park, Van Wert, OH
Cooper's Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  6
Downy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  2
Eastern Phoebe  1
Blue Jay  2
Brown Creeper  1
American Robin  15
Dark-eyed Junco  4
Song Sparrow  3

Van Wert Reservoirs, Van Wert, OH
Mallard  50
Blue-winged Teal  20
Green-winged Teal  3
Lesser Scaup  25
Red-breasted Merganser  100
Ruddy Duck  4
Common Loon  3
Horned Grebe  5
Double-crested Cormorant  1
American Coot  2
Herring Gull  2
American Robin  30
European Starling  25
Red-winged Blackbird  125
American Goldfinch  5
House Sparrow  25

Black Swamp Nature Center & Paulding Reservoir, Paulding, OH

Canada Goose  10
Redhead  25
Lesser Scaup  25
Bufflehead  2