OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2017

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2017 17:15:33 -0400
Visible from the vantage point atop the ancient Shrum Mound in Columbus
(https://www.ohioexploration.com/mounds/shrummound/), and from a small
pull-out on Riverside Drive to the south, a persistent bird colony has
again formed on a conical island in the Scioto River. Today more than a
hundred cormorants and nearly as many great blue herons have started
nesting, and expected soon are a similar numbers of great egrets. These
species are largely dedicated to nesting spots surrounded by water, and
this is the largest colony in the county. Soon, great egrets will be
joining the throng; they have been gathering along the river for the
past few weeks.
        Other species that insist on nesting sites surrounded by water will
inhabit this island. Over the past three years, a pair of herring
gulls--attracted by big chunks of limestone along the SE corner of the
island--has laid eggs there; as far as I know, these nests have never
yielded young birds, but the adults keep trying; the birds are easy to
see on the southeast side. GB herons in the county are more adaptable,
but this--as far as I know--is the only spot in the county where many
great egrets, gb herons, and cormorants nest together, and the only spot
for the gulls. It's been a great place to avoid humans for many years.
Bill Whan
Cols