From:
Stefan Gleissberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stefan Gleissberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2017 21:34:57 -0400
I led an Athens Area Birders walk along the Lakeside Trail at Lake Snowden this sunny morning. 2 Yellow Warblers were chasing each other near the road to the campground, and 2 Warbling Vireos were singing nearby. We had good looks at a pair of Ospreys circling over the lake and perching in a tree across the lake. We saw Wood Ducks perched on limbs high up in the canopy of the woods. The songs of Wood Thrush, Scarlet Tanager, Baltimore Oriole, Tufted Titmouse, American Robin, Brown Thrasher, and Yellow-rumped Warbler were heard in the woods.

Some of us proceeded all the way to the Hocking College Fisheries, where we were treated to an Osprey with a fish in its talons, and a pair of Red-tailed Hawks. Several swallow species were darting over our heads, including Tree Swallows (the predominant species), several Barn Swallows and Purple Martins, and a few Northern Rough-winged Swallows and at least one Cliff Swallow. A few Chimney Swifts joined in as well. An Eastern Meadowlark was also present. On our way back, we encountered a hoped-for Red-headed Woodpecker at the campground.

My final list has 48 species:

A big *Thank You* to Molly Thatcher from the Athens County Libraries for helping to make this happen, and for keeping an eye on the time! And thanks for the interest and keen eyes and ears of everyone!

Stefan
==

Dr. Stefan Gleissberg
Athens Area Birders