From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2017 12:20:41 -0400
This morning, I stopped at several spots along the Scioto River from the Long Street Dam and Grandview up to Griggs dam, including the Shrum Mound Quarry rookery.  The rookery seems to be gearing up quickly - I saw 100+ cormorants, 80+ Great Blue Herons, and 8 Great Egrets, all building or defending nests.  I also had lots of commuting herons & cormorants up and down the river.  Other species of note included:

Blue-winged Teal - 5 of them were in a small flock  in the Shrum Mound Quarry Lake
HoodedMergansers - a pair were in the river along the bikepath by Marble Cliff
Bald Eagle - an adult was perched along the river at Marble Cliff
E.Phoebes - singles were at many locations, totaling perhaps 5-6 all morning
Tree Swallows - many birds scattered along the river searching for nesting snags
Brown Creepers - at least 2 were in the riparian area below Griggs Dam
Winter Wren - 1 was singing in the riparian strip along the bikepath at Marble Cliff
Kinglets - only Golden-crowns, but they're still quite common; Griggs had the most with 10
Cedar Waxwings - a pair was at Marble Cliff, while another single was at Griggs
Warblers - still only Yellow-rumps, and they were not very common
Tree Sparrows - a small flock of 5 was feeding along the edge of the disc golf course below Griggs dam
Chipping Sparrows - singing birds were at both Marble Cliff and Griggs
Fox Sparrow - 1 was calling along the edge of the disc golf course below Griggs dam
Blackbirds - Red-wings, Grackles, and cowbirds were all numerous, especially cowbirds