From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2017 23:09:06 -0400
Greetings!

The shorebirds were pretty few and far between today at Killdeer Plains
today.  My wife and I pretty much stayed along the Marion/Wyandot county
line.

When we got to Morral-Kirkpatrick Rd W, almost to where old above ground
reservoir can be seen from the road, a sparrow sized bird flushed from the
Marion side of the Road to the Wyandot side of the road.  I initially
thought it was something like a horned Lark or song Sparrow or something
like that, But then I noticed white spots on the sides of the bottom of the
tail, and it was a little on the large side. I stopped and got my binocs on
it, and saw the tail, and the head of a Lark Sparrow!. I tried to get
photos of it, but I couldn't get my camera out quick enough. :-(

I seem to remember someone having a Lark Sparrow pair or some other odd
sparrow possibly breading in the same area a few years ago, but it isn't
showing up on eBird.  I was wondering if anyone remembers that.

Other than that, it was a pretty basic day.  List including Lark location
below.

Happy birding and God bless,

Steve J.

Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area (Marion Co.), Marion, Ohio, US
Apr 29, 2017 2:30 PM - 4:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.5 mile(s)
31 species

Canada Goose  100
Trumpeter Swan  2
Mallard  8
Blue-winged Teal  2
Great Blue Heron  2
Turkey Vulture  10
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Killdeer  2
Lesser Yellowlegs  100
Mourning Dove  10
Northern Flicker  1
Merlin  1
Eastern Kingbird  1
Horned Lark  4
Tree Swallow  100
Barn Swallow  50
Eastern Bluebird  2
American Robin  30
Northern Mockingbird  1
European Starling  50
Chipping Sparrow  2
Field Sparrow  15
Lark Sparrow  1     Medium to large sparrow with white tips on the tail.
Face had brown patches under eyes.  Location was around
40.687358,-83.372466 .
Song Sparrow  10
Swamp Sparrow  2
Northern Cardinal  4