From:
Doreene Linzell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doreene Linzell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2017 14:00:04 -0400
Andy Sewell is absolutely right - a negative report is as valuable as a positive report. About 12-15 people searched patiently for the Neotropic Cormorant yesterday (Wed., April 5) at Wendy Park. We arrived about 10:00 and left about 5:00. The Neotropic Cormorant was never relocated. The Great Cormorant was spotted very briefly by a few birders prior to our arrival. Now, I must say, that just because we did not find it, means that the bird is gone. There are several hundred cormorants there - some by the lighthouse and some on the further out break wall to the left. The bird could easily have been hunkered down and not visible. About 4:30 a kayaker went out and around the break wall with the lighthouse on it. The cormorants got up and flew. Most of them never returned. So, we departed. This is not an easy bird to find given the circumstances - distance, sleeping birds, small size. A scope is ESSENTIAL.

Doreene Linzell