From:
Andrew Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2017 21:16:36 -0400
​I spent the day around Cleveland and hit the Funk area on the way home.
Highlights:

Lewis Road Riding Ring at Rocky River Reservation:
The Loggerhead Shrike was active and easily observable when I arrived
around 8 AM, but the Say's Phoebe slept in and didn't show up until 9:30
AM.Worth the wait for Ohio Bird #340! In the meanwhile, a Vesper Sparrow,
Solitary Sandpiper, and Hermit Thrush provided distractions, along with
more common birds.

I spent two hours at Wendy Park squinting at cormorants. Only the
double-crested sort were evident; no Neotropical or Great. a nice
consolation prize was a late Iceland Gull and a Thayer's/Iceland-type gull
- seemed more Thayerish to me but it will probably be lumped in the near
future anyway... Both single Lesser and Greater Black-backed Gulls were
present. Thousands of red-breasted mergansers were also swarming the
harbor, with almost no other duck species present.​ A few loons, some
Caspian Terns, and a single Horned Grebe rounded out the avian assemblage.

I searched for Fish Crows near the last reported eBird locations, but no
luck.

The Funk area is very, very wet. Wilderness Road is flooded over, and had a
small number of ducks, including American Widgeon, Mallard, Blue-winged
Teal, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, and Shoveler. Oddly enough, there were no
swallows, although there were plenty of small bugs flying about.
Schwarzwalder road was passable, and had a few Lesser Yellowlegs and a
Solitary Sandpiper, along with both flavors of teal, widgeon, and mallards.
Funk Bottoms itself is underwater and swarming with coots. Ring-necks were
the common duck, followed by shovelers and wood ducks. A few blue-winged
teal were also hanging around. If the water recedes somewhat in the next
couple of weeks, this should be a bonanza spot for shorebirds. Keep your
fingers crossed.

Good birding,
Andy Sewell