From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2017 20:28:51 -0400
We made our annual wildflower trip over to these 2 Greene County preserves and we were rewarded with a decent bird list as well.  At Clifton Gorge we walked the gorge trail and rim trail between the Orton Picnic area and the museum, while at Indian Mound Park along Massie Creek, we walked the Creek and Rim Trails along the north side of Massie Creek.  Lots of singing early arrivals at both locations, including

Red-shouldered hawk - 1 calling at Massie Creek
E.Phoebes, a few calling at both locations
Swallows - a few Rough-wings were calling along the creeks at both spots; Clifton also had 2 Tree Swallows
House Wrens - 3-4 were singing in the scruffy floodplain along Massie Creek
Gnatcatchers - good #s at both places, with 8-10 at each
Ruby-cr.Kinglets - 8+ at Clifton, 2 at Massie
Golden-cr.Kinglets - 3 in the cliffside cedars at Clifton
Parula Warblers - 2 at Clifton, another 1 at Massie
Yellow-throated Warblers - 5 singing along the Little Miami River at Clifton, another 3 along Massie Creek
Yellow-rumped Warblers - 2-3 at each location
Louisiana Waterthrush - only 1 singing at Clifton, another 2 at Massie
Field Sparrows - 2 singing in the upland meadows at Clifton Gorge
Chipping Sparrows - 3-4 singing along the road at Clifton Gorge, another 2 at Massie Creek
White-throated Sparrows - 10+ at Clifton Gorge, another 4-5 at Massie Creek