From:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2017 12:32:05 -0400
Julie and I walked through Old Reid Park this morning. This is just south of
Buck Creek State Park in Clark County. There is a male Mute Swan that has
lived there for a few years now. This morning a Trumpeter Swan flew in and
landed on the ponds. The Mute Swan then swam over with a very aggressive
posture and chased the Trumpeter Swan. The Trumpeter Swan flew a little ways
to another section of the ponds. Then the Mute Swan swam to chase it again.
The Trumpeter flew again. The Mute Swan swam to a nest it has built to chase
off a goose and sit on it a minute. There is no female and no eggs but the
male has a poor nest started. After a minute it swam to chase the Trumpeter
again. Again the Trumpeter didn't go far. We left while this was still going
on. There have been two Trumpeter Swans in the area for a week or so. I
don't know what will happen in this ongoing confrontation.

Doug Overacker
Julie Karlson