From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2017 11:49:38 -0400
I don't know how drones are regulated in Ohio, and seek some
information. Are there statewide rules, and might they be applied in
different areas for different purposes? One major concern involves
public property--refuges, parks, etc. I would appreciate a way to learn
more about how these devices may lawfully be used there, and how their
impact on wild birds is recognized and regulated. For example, could a
hunter--or an armed birdwatcher--be justified in shooting down a drone
that's disturbing protected wild birds? Can jackasses dive-bomb duck
flocks with drones just for kicks? More helpfully, might drones easily
be used to more accurately census certain bird populations?
        Seems to me this is not a major concern...yet...but it's not hard to
envision some problems. Here on my expansive Columbus estate we have
always shielded our nude bathing behind the bougainvillea hedges and
palm trees; while neither we nor peepers have seen any rare waders
drone intrusion is obvious.
        Seriously, it is worth looking at the impact drones might have on bird
populations--such as migrant waterfowl--even though they allow us to
more accurately assess their overall numbers. How are raptor numbers
affected as well? Drone counts are very handy, but can be sloppy; even
raptors might be spooked by drones!  I imagine the effect of drones on
bird presences has been studied, and I'd like to see results. Why
wouldn't censuses from satellites be more helpful? Who's going to inform
us about these devices?
        Just a few half-baked notions as food for thought, and an invitation
for more,
Bill Whan