From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2017 20:55:55 +0000
  I scouted around the Hoover Nature Preserve today to ascertain the current Status of the Prothonotary Warblers and to determine where to apply efforts to police trash around the preserve on Saturday morning. Fishing season is getting active and with it the accumulation of beer cans and other trash. For both the benefit of the birds and the preserve visitors I and members of the Big Walnut Nature Club plan to exert a major effort to clean Area N and some  other close sections of the preserve around Galena.
Back to the Prothonotary Warblers, they are beginning to show up in increasing numbers daily. To date I have observed them at Area N, Area M (right off the boardwalk), Area L, Wiese Road, Oxbow Road, Old Sunbury Road and Mudhen Marsh. Several of the Prothontary Warblers observed today had colored leg bands. During the last two years about 100 PROWs were banded at the preserve. If you should encounter one of these banded individuals and are able to determine the color sequence on one or both legs I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. What were the colored bands by leg and when and where did you observe the bird.
Other warblers observe at the preserve today included Yellow-throated, Northern Parula, Palm, Yellow-rumped and Yellow.
Charlie BombaciHoover Nature Preserve