From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2017 19:51:25 -0400
Hi Ken,

Northern Summit county is within the breeding range of Dark-eyed Junco in
Ohio.  Albeit on the southern edge. Juncos can be a common and prolific
breeder in appropriate habitat in NE Ohio, but their range is confined to
Astabula, Eastern Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Portage and Northern Summit
counties.

The breeding population of this species has exploded in the past 30 years.
Our breeding Juncos habituate readily to different situations and are not
confined to mature forests or hemlock ravines. In Geauga county they often
use hanging plants as a nest.

Keep an eye out for nesting activity in your area. They will often have 3
broods and in some places are already working on their first.

Haans
Kirtland