From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2017 18:35:29 -0400
The cold morning seemed to stall the early migration here along Darby Creek (southwest of Columbus), if my list from 4 hours this morning was any indication. I stopped at Indian Ridge, Cedar Ridge, and the Nature Center, as well as a few stops in nearby Grove City.  Lots of trees & shrubs budding or leafing out, but the bird numbers were modest.  Included were:

Coopers Hawks - display-flying birds at several locations, indicating nesting territories
Flycatchers - only E. Phoebes, most around the picnic areas at the MetroPark
Vireos - only 2 Blue-headed, singing at Indian Ridge and at Cedar Ridge
Swallows - Rough-wings and Trees were widespread, and a few Barn Swallows were in the field areas
House Wrens - singing birds at many wood edges
Gnatcatchers - perhaps the most common bird of the morning, with over 30 in the 4 hours
Kinglets - only Ruby-crowns, and not very many of them (5 total)
Wood Thrush - 1 was singing in the woodlot at Fryar Park in Grove City, my FOS
BrownThrashers - 2 birds were along the wood edges at Cedar Ridge
Gray Catbirds - 2 were singing in the streamside honeysuckles at Willow Run Park near Grove City
Warblers - modest #s of Yellow, Parula, Yellow-throated, Nashville, Black-thr.Green, Palms, and Yellow-rumps.  Also had a singing Louisiana Waterthrush along the Terrace Trail
Sparrows - lost of small flocks of White-throats, along with the expected resident Towhees, Chipping, Field, and Songs
Icterids - only blackbirds, though they were widespread