From:
Ronnie Shari <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ronnie Shari <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2017 16:02:30 -0400
Good morning. Yesterday at 13:50 I heard what sounded like a Prothonotary
Warbler . I grabbed my binoculars, ran outside (literally) and sure enough
there he was in all his glory singing and singing. Then he flew into the
woods and I didn't hear him anymore. About a half hour later I heard him
again. So I run back outside and this is the wild part. For the next 30
minutes or so I watched him singing and flying around checking out and
sitting on nest boxes. We have about 14 boxes of varying styles. He checked
out at least 4 of them. The House Wrens were a little upset. The last time
I heard him was at 15:42. So I thought : "Wow, that was so unexpected and
really fun". I assumed that was the end.
He was back this morning and singing at 05:57 and is still here. We only
have a 20 ft. diameter wildlife pond in the back yard which is about 50-100
ft. from the boxes he was checking out. The next closest big bodies of
water are .2 miles away. The woods on the east and south sides of our
property are more of a lowland type woods. It does get wet in there and has
standing water in places if we have enough rain. The ground is typically
soft in a lot of areas through most of the year. I wonder what the
attraction is.
Maybe people with more experience with these birds can tell me how far away
from water they will nest. Is this just an anomaly, or a desperate bird ? I
find it hard to believe that he will find a mate right here although there
are some nesting about 6 driving miles away.
Well, whatever the reason, it's been fun.

Shari Jackson
Marlboro Township
Stark County