From:
Kathy Shank <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathy Shank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2017 08:07:19 -0400
We have a pair of Blue Jays trying to build a nest in our silver maple,
which is directly over our garage.  They have been stealing those
foot-long or so stiff white electrical ties from someone's home
improvement project from somewhere in the neighborhood (Berea).  This
has been going for the last ten days, and they must have stolen over 100
of them by now, as we find up to two dozen on the garage roof and on the
ground daily.  They try to weave them into a nest, but 99% of the time
they fall to the roof or ground. I can see only one or two that are on
the branch, and even those don't look all that secure.  But they keep
stealing, and keep trying.  They are usually dropped or fall almost as
soon as they pick them up, which begs the question, why do they keep
trying? Has anyone else seen Blue Jays use unusual nesting material?